Saturday, January 12, 2013

Twitter Tweets.

I am in the process of querying agents for my first manuscript.  For this, I use google excessively.  I google authors that I like to find their agents.  I search the agents' names.  I google literary agencies in various locations and I search, and I search and I search.  I read their bios, I read their blogs, I read anything that might help me turn this dream of publication into a reality.

But it got me thinking.  What if one of these agents, reading my query letter, turned around and googled me?  I wasn't too worried, after all, I'm a little intimidated by the longevity of what gets out there on the web.  I try to post thoughtfully, and always try to keep in mind that any words that I put out there on my blog or facebook page could potentially be out there in the cyberworld existence for a long, long time. 

But a quick google search for "Natalie Fowler" sounded like a good idea.  Just to be sure.

Uh oh.

There are a lot of Natalie Fowler's out there in the world. 

One of the first Natalie Fowler links lands on a Twitter Account.  NatalieYoBabyFowler something or other.  

Yikes.

The tagline under the google search reveals that the Yo Baby Natalie Fowler is an "aspiring young quirky writer." 

Huh.  Maybe it's not such a bad thing to aspire to be young.  I barely know what Twitter is.

A click on the link to her Twitter Page, reveals a tagline that states she might very well write you into one of her novels as a character.  

Oh Dear God.

She tweets about taking out the garbage, joking around with her sister, and getting flowers from a secret admirer that included a quote from Harry Potter, and (my personal favorite) getting mistaken as an employee of Hollister (and apparently that's a good thing).  

Now I just feel old.  

But I also feel really, really thankful that there was no such thing as Twitter when I was in high school. 

Maybe I should put a disclaimer at the bottom of my query letters from now on:  I am in no way connected with the "Yo Baby" Natalie Fowler on Twitter.  But then again, there probably aren't that many other Natalie Fowler's from Belgium.  I hope.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment