Thursday, February 20, 2014

I guess...it's official.


We still have a few boxes here and there. Ok, a lot of boxes. But I am officially calling this move over. Funny, I just looked at the date today. February 19, 2014. Two months ago today, December 19, 2013, we flew from Brussels to Minneapolis, to our new/old home.

It is a little strange, but also comfortable to be back in the same house. As I put stuff away into the very cupboards that I emptied six years ago, I feel like I have a chance to make good choices. Better, wiser choices. Some of the stuff is going back into the same spot. A lot of stuff is going out the door and not coming back. If there is one thing I learned living in a sparse house for five weeks, we just don't need all the stuff we thought we needed.  

I made it official today. I changed my location settings on all of my social media forms -- Twitter, Facebook and here on this blog. My heart has this dull ache that comes and goes, and it has been particularly strong today. For six years, my location, Brussels, has been a primary defining factor of my identity. That's what I was doing, that was my purpose. 

It's the same feeling I had when I finished college, or even law school. That feeling like you don't exactly know what's coming next. There is all kinds of uncertainty, apprehension. And it's different now too, because we've got little people. My focus has been on them, making sure they are doing ok. It doesn't leave much room for figuring out what's next for me. 

But if history has taught me anything, it will be something. A new challenge. Another reinvention, just around the corner. It will be hard to top the last experience. But I have a lot of faith that I will figure it out. 



 

1 comment: