Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Relapse

I am always homesick for Belgium when we have a rainy day. And today is a rainy day.

I suppose it's normal to have a relapse. I suppose that it's normal for that relapse to hit about now. A month into the new school year, the shiny new shoes are not so shiny. The reality of homework and routines have set in.

We had a brilliant, glorious summer. Filled with festivals and fairs, family and friends. The weather was sunny and perfect. It provided a lot of distractions and excitement.

Today, when I pulled up to the curb in front of our house, I watched a city worker attach a long, red and white pole to the fire hydrant on the corner. The reality of what's in our very near future, set in. For my Belgian friends who might not know what this means, it's so the fire department can find the fire hydrant when that corner becomes a mountain of snow and ice. Yes, we Americans are nothing if not efficient.

That red and white pole is about six feet tall. I know last year's winter was especially harsh, but really? Does it have to be six feet tall? That's a bit excessive, don't you think?

I suppose it's time to tackle some of those projects I never got to this summer because we were having too much fun.

But maybe they can wait just a little longer.  There's a fire in the fireplace and rainy days make really good writing days….

2 comments:

  1. I think 6 feet is a bit excessive, too. Hope you get just the right amount of snow this winter! Enjoy your fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, we will! No matter what, it has to be better than last year!

    ReplyDelete