Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Declaration.

I hereby declare my period of mourning for Belgium, over.

I went into the Christmas season with a melancholy heart. It was impossible not to remember, and thereby re-live, all of the stress we were under last year as we made our move from Belgium to Minnesota. I was dreading our one-year anniversary. 

But instead, a really great thing happened on our one-year anniversary. My heart stopped hurting. The physical pain I felt in my heart whenever I thought about Belgium, went away. It was like a switch had been flipped. I'm not sure why. Except that with every day that passed, up to that point, if I thought back to what I was doing the year before, those memories always took me to Belgium. Once we hit the one-year anniversary that changed. 

And I am so very glad. It's not easy to live under that black umbrella of mourning. Belgium will always be in my heart…but now I appreciate that it doesn't break in half every time I think about it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment