Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Minnesota Winter

We are in the middle of a deep freeze here in Belgium.  It is Minnesota winter weather, no question about it.  Glorious sunshine during the day, but below freezing temperatures.  The daytime temperatures are sub-zero (but in celsius).  We haven't quite reached daytime temps of sub-zero farenheit, and I pray on behalf of the handful of little kids at school that still aren't wearing hats or mittens, that we don't.  

While the cold makes it harder to get out of the house in the morning, I appreciate that we've got a break from the outdoor football practices and matches.  It was nice yesterday to bring the children home at lunch yesterday and just let them play away the afternoon.

Up until a week ago, we were on track to skip winter altogether.  The bulbs were already starting to grow.  I even saw flowers on the ones growing at school just after the break, it was so strange to see flowers growing in January.  We hadn't had a single snowfall.  We had snow last weekend, and got to use our snow boots, snow pants, snow shovel and sleds at least once for the year.  But I'm pretty sure the little flowers aren't faring so well.  I know that my pansies didn't make it.  

Strangely enough, this weather has made me homesick for Minnesota.  I'm not exactly sure why.  Maybe it's because John is heading there for work this week.  Or maybe it's because we just booked our tickets to come back for a visit during spring break.  Or maybe it's the rare stretch of extended winter sunshine during what is usually a dark and gloomy month.

I have learned to take the weather here in stride.  Often, I deal with the dark and rain by telling myself that at least it's not cold.  But this week, I am dealing with the cold by being thankful for the sunshine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment