Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Good Intentions.

Like a lot of other moms, I'm sure, I began the summer with the best of intentions. I had lists.  One was called "What to do When You are Bored." Another was called "List of Jobs You Can do to Earn Money"and the last one was called "Summer Rules." One of the rules was that if you were bored, you had to read the list of What to do When You are Bored, and/or pick a job from the List of Jobs."

I was going to achieve that perfect balance between activity and laziness. Have enough stuff scheduled to keep us busy, with a few empty days to relax and enjoy not having a regimented schedule. It's ok to be bored. Boredom encourages imaginations, so I said. Boredom might get some of those jobs on that list done, so I hoped.

Boredom also encourages fighting and teasing and plotting and general, all around mischief and trouble-making. Especially when you are four, and you just really want to play with your big brothers. Except that you don't know how and it's just easier to hit them than to try to work it out with words.

It doesn't help that I'm yelling too much. No one is listening to me anymore. Not even me.

They are bored. I'm frustrated. None of the jobs got done. No one is following rules, it's an all out free-for-all. But I meant to do better. Does that count for anything?

It must be time for school to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment