Friday, August 16, 2013

My real life story problem....

So just because I wasn't blogging for awhile, doesn't mean that I wasn't saving little story nuggets here and there, so I'll pass along a few of these to "catch up."

This was from early last spring, when our weather was cold and rainy and we never knew if we'd have football practice or not on a Wednesday afternoon. I did not change the names to protect the innocent in this post, mostly because by the time you are done reading it, you won't even remember your own name.


Every Wednesday, the children at the local schools in Belgium have a half-day of school.  The purpose of this is to dedicate on afternoon each week for sports and extracurricular activities.  Every now and then, it is also a good day to have a birthday party.  The result, is that every afternoon, I become a chauffer for the Fowler family. 

This particular Wednesday reminded me of the word problems that were typical on the LSAT (the law school entrance exam) so if you read through and can answer the questions at the end correctly, then you may want to consider applying to law school. 

On this particular Wednesday, Isabelle went home with Victoria, so that Victoria’s mother Isabelle could drive Victoria, Isabelle and Pauline to Alice’s birthday party.  I planned to bring Nico, A.J. and Luke home for lunch at our house, but then Luke went home with Sacha, who lives across the street.  There was soccer practice, so I fetched Luke from Sacha’s house, took Luke, A.J. and Nico to Soccer practice, where I only dropped off Luke.  Then, I took A.J. and Nico with me to pick-up Isabelle, Pauline and Victoria from Alice’s birthday party in Rixensart.  On my way back, I dropped Nico and A.J. off at their practice.  Then I proceeded to Isabelle’s house (Victoria’s mom) to drop off Victoria and Pauline, then, I went back to the field to pick-up Luke.  I then brought Belle and Luke home to start dinner and make Luke take a shower (he was a goalie at practice and it was muddy).  Then, Luke, Belle and I went back to pick-up A.J.  Question 1:  How many kids did I have to make lunch for?  Question 2:  What was the most number of kids I had in my car at one time?

Plan B: (In case there wasn’t practice due to rain, cold and mud):  A.J., Luke and Nico would come with me to pick-up three girls (including my own) from the birthday party.  I would then drop Nico, Pauline and Victoria at Isabelle’s house, because Nico’s mom (Nathalie) was already coming there to pick-up Sixteen, Nico’s sister who was there to play with Eiselene (Victoria’s older sister.)

Bonus question:  Who ended the day by sitting in the kitchen with a big glass of wine and her kindle?

I don’t know how to make this next part type upside down, or I would try.
Answers:  Question 1:  I only had to make lunch for two and it was very quiet.  Question 2:  The most kids in the car at one time was five – the three girls after the party and Nico and A.J. before I dropped them off at practice.  By the way, the three girls were all sugared up and giggled and blew their party horns all the way home.  The boys just shook their heads in amazement and I think it was a glimpse of things to come.  Bonus Question:  Me. I was the one in the kitchen at the end of the day with a big glass of wine and my kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment